It’s all about taste for us, so when we decided to introduce nuts to our range of craft snacks, they quite simply had to to be seasoned with the best salt. This led us to an obsession with natural sea salt – so much so, that we want to share that passion and learning with you.
We know you care about where your food comes from. So do we. That’s why table salt was never going to make the grade. Cheaper, industrial salt has additives that strip out much of its natural mineral content. Only the most natural sea salt would do and our search for the best took us to Cornwall. Cornish Sea Salt is harvested in the purest Atlantic waters, just eight metres from their salt house. It’s packed with essential minerals – in fact it retains so much of the good stuff from the sea that you can use 30% less to get the same impact of flavour.
Contrary to popular opinion salt is good for you, as long as you eat the right salt, because it’s rich in trace minerals. Artisan salts are quite rightly staging a huge comeback. If you’re like us, once you start using them, you will never go back to refined commercial salt. Our journey has taught us there is a lot that we can do to change our salt habits and to get the most from this precious and tasty mineral.
- Eat as much sea salt as you want… as long as it is you that is doing the salting. 75% of the salt that we consume is commercial refined salt in processed foods.
- Use only natural and unrefined salts. You will get better nutritional and flavour value and you will not need to use as much.
- Add salt, when possible, towards the end of cooking. For the simple reason that you get more flavour.
- Measure in pinches, not teaspoons and begin to understand taste and quantities.
- Get into the art of using salt as a finisher: choose your artisan salt and scatter it across the surface of your food to taste. Original crystals add crunch and intensity whereas flakes have a more delicate mineral rich flavour. There are also several flavoured and infused varieties – we like lemon and thyme on roast potatoes and chilli salt on steak.
- Buy unsalted butter and add artisan salt to taste.
If we’ve whetted your appetite you can head to our shop and try our oven roasted peanuts and almonds seasoned with Cornish Sea Salt.